Monkeys RBL timeouts {Scanned by HJMS}

Gerry Doris gdoris at ROGERS.COM
Mon Sep 29 17:59:53 IST 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> Really sad to see this happen, and especially to see apathy among large
> network providers.  Knowing for a fact that many of the actual admins and
> techs at Tier 1 providers are still receptive to calls for help but are
> frustrated because they can't act alone to block their own customers, I
> wonder if perhaps an effort to organize those providers in a method they can
> get approval for would help.

snip...

I've mixed emotions about these RBL's going out of business.  What's
happenning to them is just plain wrong and it shows the power of the
spammers and script kiddies.  It is amazing that no one in authority cares
at all.

On the other hand, many of these RBL's seem to be run egocentric idiots.
If you think I'm wrong then I hope your ip doesn't magically appear in one
of their lists.  Getting it removed varies from difficult to impossible.
The last time I checked I believe one of these guys (Ignorant?) had listed
the entire .uk domain!

However, I use them and so does virtually everyone else I know.  I suppose
the lack of concern over the DDos attacks stems from them doing this on
their own and not being sponsored by a large company of some type (ie IBM,
Microsoft, MCI, etc).

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer