MailScanner Performance

Ldg ldg at tls.net
Mon Sep 29 17:27:33 IST 2003

I've Googled and used the archives, so I've read a bit but I still have a
question.

I am in need of a virus gateway for our network (ISP). I currently have two
mailservers;

Sparc 20
Dual 195 CPU
512mb ram
qmail + Vpopmail + Spamassassin 2.55

They both do quite well handling 200k to 250k messages a day. One machine
has a single domain with 4000 accounts (dialup users). The second has 200
domains with 1800 users (Commercial accounts).
Dialup users avg 2k per message, commercial customers a bit more with
attachments often (20% of delivered mail).

Question,

I need to add a virus gateway that did nothing but scan for viruses, if
detected - quarantine. If clean - route on to the proper popserver. I do not
need pop service, Spamassassin, local delivery, or outgoing service. I just
want to add a lower MX host for a domain and begin directing mail to the
Virus gateway, then have the Virus gateway route the mail straight to the
proper pop box.

It would appear Mailscanner will fill the bill but I am concerned about the
resources required. I can use whatever hardware is needed (within reasonable
budget), FreeBSD or Solaris preferred.

Can anyone give me an idea of how many messages a day can be handled by
mailscanner? What kind of hardware is everyone using?

Thanks,

DAve Goodrich
TLS.net