Problem with update_virus_scanners script on Solaris

Mon Sep 29 14:28:51 IST 2003

On Monday 29 September 2003 2:24 pm, Mike Brudenell wrote:

> Greetings -
>
> MailScanner 4.23-11 includes a revised version of the
> bin/update_virus_scanners script.  This appears to extract out details of
> the wrapper scripts from the etc/virus.scanners.conf file.
>
> Unfortunately on Solaris the code to do this doesn't work.  In particular
> this section of code:
>
>     cat ${SCANNERSCONF} | sed -e 's/#.*$//' | fgrep -e -wrapper | \
>     while read NAME WRAPPER PACKAGEDIR
>     do
>
> assumes 'grep' can take a '-e' option (to, I suspect, signal the next item
> is a pattern despite it beginning with a '-' character).
>
> The standard grep (/usr/bin/grep) on Solaris doesn't have such an option,
> and so the script fails.
>
> Two possible solutions:
>  a) Change to use 'fgrep' instead of 'grep', or

Er, this was the chosen solution, as illustrated in the section of code you
pasted above....

...or am I missing something subtle here?

Antony.

--

Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics