Problems with sophossavi and Sophos 3.74

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Sep 29 12:13:14 IST 2003

Greetings -

I _think_ something in the Sophos shared libraries has changed between
versions 3.73 and 3.74 of Sophos Anti-Virus.  This is on Solaris 8
systems...

On our production machine I am using:
    MailScanner 4.22-5
    Sophos Anti-Virus 3.73
    SAVI Perl module 0.15

Using this machine to this command works just fine (ie, it exits without
error):
    % /opt/york/bin/perl -MSAVI -e exit
    %

On my development machine I am using:
    MailScanner 4.23-11         <<<
    Sophos Anti-Virus 3.74      <<<
    SAVI Perl module 0.15

The symptoms I'm seeing are that MailScanner continually reports starting
another child process, but none survive and continue running.

Giving the above command on this machine fails with error messages about
missing symbols coming, I think, from the Sophos library:
    % /opt/york/bin/perl -MSAVI -e exit
    Can't load
    '/opt/york/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/SAVI/SAVI.so'
    for module SAVI: ld.so.1: /opt/york/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error:
    file /opt/york/Sophos/lib/libsavi.so.3: symbol __moddi3: referenced
    symbol not found at /opt/york/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm
    line 229.
     at -e line 0
    Compilation failed in require.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
    %

Replacing the /opt/york/Sophos tree containing Sophos 3.74 with the one
containing 3.73 from the production machine *and making no other changes*
lets the SAVI module load OK again:
    % /opt/york/bin/perl -MSAVI -e exit
    %

This makes me think there has been some change to the Sophos libraries that
is incompatible with the SAVI 0.15 Perl module.

Can anyone else see this problem?
Any ideas as to its cause/how to fix it?

With many thanks,

Mike Brudenell

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *