4.23-11: major bug: virus warning text itself appears in quarantine

Jay Berkenbilt ejb at QL.ORG
Sun Sep 28 15:24:44 IST 2003

I just upgraded my MailScanner installation to 4.23-11 on Friday.
Since then, there have been 45 occurrences of messages where the
recipient has received the canned virus warning with a reference to a
file in the quarantine, but the quarantined file actually contains the
virus warning itself (including a reference to itself) rather than the
original message.  I am gathering that this means the original message
has been lost.  I consider any situation that results in loss of mail
to be of critical importance.  In this instance, the message that was
lost was a report of a user winning an auction item on Ebay
(legitimate, not forged).  The message contained a form.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb at ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/