WARNING: Problems with new version of Sophos (3.74)

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Sep 26 18:28:14 IST 2003

Greetings -

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN UPDATING TO THE NEW (OCTOBER 2003) VERSION OF SOPHOS!

It appears that two changes have been made that may well stop it working
when installed using MailScanner's scripts:

 *  It appears to be have been made aware of multiple languages, meaning
    a new "swpmess.dat" file has been added to the directory containing
    the vdl files.

    >>> A symlink is needed from the ide directory to that file as well
    >>> as all the symlinks to the vdl files.

 *  It appears that the /etc/sav.conf file is now REQUIRED by sweep in
    order to find its swpmess.dat file.  MailScanner's Sophos.install
    script currently removes this file and without it Sweep gives a
    warning about not being able to read its languages file.

When I did the update using MajorSophos it converted our MailScanner from a
Busy Bee into a Lame Duck, continually starting up MailScanner processes
(presumably as they died off) and not doing any scanning.

Restoring the previous version of Sophos (whose directory I had fortunately
tar'd up beforehand) recovered things to a working state.

I've off home now, so will do more testing on Monday.

Cheers,

Mike Brudenell

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *