Revised MajorSophos available

Mark Nienberg imark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Fri Sep 26 01:55:03 IST 2003

Julian has informed me that the latest version of MailScanner (or perhaps he meant
the next version?) has a revised sophos-wrapper script that needs an extra
command line argument to specify the directory in which Sophos is installed.
Accordingly, the method used by MajorSophos to determine the currently installed
version of Sophos will fail.  I don't think this will prevent the download and installation
of Sophos, but I don't have the latest version of MailScanner installed so I can't test it
to be sure.

Anyway, I posted a slightly revised version of MajorSophos, that I hope will work
correctly with newer versions of MailScanner, as well as older versions. It is a crude
workaround that involves setting an extra environment variable at the top of the
script.  Unfortunately, (what am I saying?, fortunately) I leave tomorrow for 2 weeks
of bicycling in Tuscany.  When I return, I promise to upgrade my MailScanner
installation, do some testing, and perhaps write a more elegant solution that will work
transparently with any version of MailScanner.

Perhaps Julian can tell us for which version of MailScanner this is necessary. I
suggest you run MajorSophos with no arguments to see if it correctly reports your
installed version of Sophos.  If it doesn't, then try the new MajorSophos and
uncomment the SOPHOSDIR variable.  You'll see what I mean.

MajorSophos is available at

http://www.tippingmar.com/majorsophos/

--
Mark W. Nienberg, SE