Complete Virus Scanner Review

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 21:16:34 IST 2003

At 20:52 24/09/2003, you wrote:
>Nathan Johanson wrote:
>
>>========
>>
>>Sophos
>>http://www.sophos.com
>>
>>Licensing Model: Per User (W/ exceptions)
>>$671.00 per server/year
>>$5500.00 350 Users per 2 years
>>
>>Notes: I did contact Sophos, but didn't spend a lot of time researching
>>their product for a couple reasons: (1) Sophos is not really a mystery
>>to MailScanner users as it's the product that Julian himself uses.
>>Sophos is also familiar with MailScanner (the representative I talked to
>>knew exactly what I was talking about when I started to explain my use
>>for the  product). (2) Also, the pricing above is not etched in stone
>>and highly variable on who you  talk to at Sophos and when you talk to
>>them. For example, I got the impression that the per  server cost quoted
>>above was a deviation from their standard licensing model and will not
>>always be available,
>
>afaik there exist *no* licence server/year
>2 server + 348 ws = 350 licences
>
>>Nevertheless, (compared to other producst on this
>>list), they're prohibitively expensive for our purposes.
>

>5500.00 / 350 = 15.71
>15.71 / 2 =  $7.86  per_ws/year
>
>you can choose 3 years instead 2 years --> the longer the cheaper
>you have 1000 ws? --> the more the cheaper
>

>which arch?
>linux, mac, windows, netware, ...
>do you need more?
>

>support:
>wonderful
>

>eula:
>3.1.2 allow your employees to use the licensed program at home on a
>single workstation ...

And it is worth mentioning that their academic site licence discounts are
enormous. A few years ago our ISS dept licensed the package for 28,000
users for all work and home computers for 3 years for a total of £5,000.
Wiped the floor with anyone else. Please don't quote me on those figures,
but if you are an academic site they are definitely worth talking to.

And yes, they are still my personal favourite :-)
--
Julian Field