striphtml does not work

Wed Sep 24 19:08:21 IST 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 7:02 pm, Menno Jansz wrote:

> > Methinks maybe the name "Virus Scanning" should be changed to avoid this
> > sort of confusion?
> >
> > Perhaps call the option "Malicious Content Scanning" instead?   That
> > sounds sufficient different from "spam" and yet sufficiently inclusive to
> > cover the tests it actually controls.
>
> Yes it certainly got me. Although even what you propose is confusing as
> using "Virus Scanning = no" still allows Spam actions, but disallows a
> striphtml action for the spam.

Yes, but I think most people would not say that Spam is "malicious": it may
be very undesirable and unwelcome, but not actually malicious.

I think the html tags which MailScanner detects (in order to decide that
stripping html is appropriate) *are* considered to be malicious, hence my
suggestion for the name of the option.

However, if you have another suggestion for what it should be called to avoid
this sort of puzzlement, please put it forward.

Regards,

Antony.

--

There are two possible outcomes.

If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi