Virus Scanner Review Complete - Interesting Discoveries

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Wed Sep 24 18:26:31 IST 2003

As I suspected, Trend's technical support isn't very well educated on
their products. Not uncommon for some of the larger, Windows-focused
vendors. Thanks for the link.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Bird [mailto:dbird at SGHMS.AC.UK]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 10:19 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Virus Scanner Review Complete - Interesting Discoveries

>TrendMicro
>+1 (877) 268-4847
>sales at trendmicro.com
>Technical Support: 888.608.1009
>
>Free FileScan for Linux (non-commercial use) -- NO LONGER AVAILABLE
>ftp://ftp.antivirus.com/products/freetools
>Note: The scanner is still available on the ftp site, but not available
>from the web site (as far as I can tell). A representative at Trend
>Micro said that the corresponding promotion is over.
>
>09/17/03: Called and left another message for Bob in the sales
>department.
>09/18/03: Talked to Bob and requested pricing for Interscan VirusWall
>and ServerProtect for Linux. Talked to technical support and apparently
>neither product incorporates a command line scanner.

 From their support KB
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=7353

"there is a utility named "VSCAN" that is included with the InterScan
VirusWall for Linux installation, which acts exactly like FileScan for
Linux. The VSCAN utility will not expire after the evaluation period and
can be used free of charge for strictly non-commercial purposes"