Message Flow Diagram

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Wed Sep 24 16:12:55 IST 2003

> SA does alter the headers when you use it standalone (not within
> MailScanner), that is, with the "spamassassin" command or
> with "spamc/spamd".
> However, MS uses SA as a Perl library and AFAIK, it gets back
> a score and a
> list of matching rules with individual scores (in fact, i
> don't know if the
> individual scores are added up by MS or SA, but I think is
> the latter).

This is a good point.  I will make this modification to the document.  I
think it is a good idea to break out the message processing to include the
message header / subject line alterations.

> It should be noted, also, that the virus tests are performed
> externally via a
> virus scanner (the internal tests -e.g. IFrame- I understand
> that are part of
> what you call "Attachment/HTML tests").

The virus tests container will be moved outside of the MailScanner container
(as spamassassin is) since this is an external process.  How do you think I
can better describe the Attachment / HTML tests?  This block represents the
filename/filetype rules.

> I think it should also be noted that RBL checks may be done within
> MailScanner, within SpamAssassin or both.

Another good point.  The documentation leans towards letting MS perform the
RBL/DNSBL/Spam List checks, I'll push this piece over to the MailScanner
process.

"RBL/DNSBL/"Spam  List"  checks  done by SpamAssassin can be dis-
abled as MailScanner already does them and there is little to be"