SpamAssassin 2.60 Upgrade Question - bayes_journal file needed?

Richard Bollinger rabollinger at COMCAST.NET
Wed Sep 24 02:52:32 IST 2003

Today I upgraded two nearly identical Linux servers running MS with sendmail and SpamAssassin
2.55 to version 2.60.  After the upgrades, I noticed that only one of them was using a
bayes_journal file.  As I watched, I could see a bayes_toks.new file appear, grow to full size
and the replace bayes_toks only on the server which didn't have a bayes_journal file.

It didn't look right, so taking the suggestion from another user's email, I stopped MS, wiped
out the "state" directories on each server, then restarted MS.  It seems to be working, but now
I have just two files, bayes_toks and bayes_seen, on each server... no bayes_journal files on
either one.

Have a missed a step?  Do I need the bayes_journal files?

It looks like the bayes database is being rebuilt just fine without it:

# sa-learn --dbpath /u/MailScanner/var/spamassassin --dump magic
0.000          0          2          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0         17          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0         62          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0       8291          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1064349609          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1064367209          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last journal sync atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expire atime delta
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expire reduction count

Thanks, Rich Bollinger