Reporting tools roundup

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Mon Sep 22 16:18:02 IST 2003

> I'm looking for input on any/all of the following reporting tools -
>
> mrtg-mailstats -
> http://www.earlham.edu/~littejo/software/mrtg-mailstats.html
>
> spamstats.pl - http://www.gryzor.com/tools
>
> mailscanner-mrtg - http://mailscannermrtg.sourceforge.net
>
> mailwatch - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailwatch
>
> mailstats - http://www.while.homeunix.net/mailstats
>
> If I'm missing any please let me know. I'm planning on making a reviews
> page on reporting tools for MailScanner/SpamAssassin. Thanks!

I didn't know about mrtg-mailstats, spamstats.pl, and mailstats.  In fact,
I thought mailstats and mailwatch were the same application!  The names
are altogether too similar.

I've been using mailscanner-mrtg for quite some time with good results.
It's easy to install and provides a number of mrtg graphs showing your
server's health.  It's very easy to spot a problem (server load too high,
mail getting stuck, etc).  The only problem I've noticed is the number of
virii reported is too high now that I'm running multiple scanners.  I just
haven't bothered to make the corrections.

I recently installed mailwatch.  It provides a much more detailed level of
reporting than mailscanner-mrtg.  For those interested in detailed level
reporting (and graphs) it's a great tool.  Installation was a little more
involved than mailscanner-mrtg but the instructions were straight forward.
 It uses mysql to keep a history of all emails.

I look forward to your final analysis

Gerry