Help with smart host please

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Fri Sep 19 21:34:59 IST 2003

That's exactly what I did (use brackets, send by IP address) but there is
still a dependence on DNS.  For example, even though I am routing by IP and
configured to ignore MX, I still queue all mail if I take a DNS server out
of resolv.conf.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Jones [mailto:bob.jones at USG.EDU]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 4:29 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Help with smart host please

Jason Burzenski wrote:
> I've had similar problems in the past using sendmail mailertable
> (which basically does the same thing as smarthost except on a per
> domain basis).  The outcome is the same, even when I have the domains
> routing to the IP addresses of the internal mail destinations.  The
> problem is, sendmail wants to check if the MX record is valid even if
> you are telling it to route mail regardless of DNS.  I've even had
> sendmail re-write the to: field based on the results from DNS (caused
> havoc on the internal boxes).

I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but with the sendmail
mailertable, you can list the destination via IP address.  If you want the
mailertable to send to the specified server regardless of it's MX record,
you can put the destination address in [] brackets to avoid MX lookups.

Of course, I may have totally misunderstood your problem, in which case the
above will not apply.

Bob