Help with smart host please

Bob Jones bob.jones at USG.EDU
Fri Sep 19 21:28:54 IST 2003

Jason Burzenski wrote:
> I've had similar problems in the past using sendmail mailertable (which
> basically does the same thing as smarthost except on a per domain
> basis).  The outcome is the same, even when I have the domains routing
> to the IP addresses of the internal mail destinations.  The problem is,
> sendmail wants to check if the MX record is valid even if you are
> telling it to route mail regardless of DNS.  I've even had sendmail
> re-write the to: field based on the results from DNS (caused havoc on
> the internal boxes).

I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but with the
sendmail mailertable, you can list the destination via IP address.  If
you want the mailertable to send to the specified server regardless of
it's MX record, you can put the destination address in [] brackets to
avoid MX lookups.

Of course, I may have totally misunderstood your problem, in which case
the above will not apply.

Bob