Help with smart host please

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Fri Sep 19 21:13:53 IST 2003

I have my MS server configured to send 100% of its mail to a smart host for delivery. I am using the standard sendmail install, so I set up the smart host (talia.elknet.net) by editing the /etc/sendmail.cf file as follows:

  # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
  DStalia.elknet.net

While this does work, in that my MS server does send its messages to talia for delivery, I have one problem that sort of makes the whole smarthost concept useless...

The outbound sendmail on my MS server still does all the DNS lookups on the messages before it sends them on to the smarthost. I have thousands of messages sitting in my mqueue due to DNS lookup failures or timeouts. The whole idea of the smarthost is to blindly send the messages on to the smarthost and let it worry about delivery.

Can someone please give me the step by step solution on how to get sendmail on my MS server to just send the messages on and not bother looking them up first in DNS?

Thanks!

-Alan