mailscanner-mrtg: strange message?

Christian Campbell ccampbell at BRUEGGERS.COM
Fri Sep 19 13:18:10 IST 2003

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just recently installed the mailscanner-mrtg package
> > (version 0.05, release 3) and have noticed an interesting
> > "message" that appears at the bottom of the initial page
> > (the page with the miniatures of all of the graphs).
> >
> > At the bottom of the page are three text lines:
> >
> >                    This page will update every 5 minutes
> >                Click on any of the graphs to see more detail
> >                     ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
> >
> > ...the last one, of course, is the one that I find rather,
> > well, "disturbing".
> >
> > Has anyone else running mailscanner-mrtg noticed that message?
> >
> > I hope I haven't just installed some software that has compromised
> > the security/integrity of my system!  :(
> >
> >  - Lee
>
> It's an old internet joke.  A while back a message was posted
> by someone
> whose mother tongue wasn't English that included that text.
> If I remember
> correctly it was supposed to be a threat but ended up with everyone
> doubled in laughter.

Actually, it was a poorly translated video game that started the "All Your
Base" phonomena.  Since then there have been merchandise, websites, songs
and movies devoted to it.

If you're interested in seeing the an animated GIF of the game screens:
http://www.geocities.com/madaman13/zerowing.html

Regards,

Christian