mailscanner-mrtg: strange message?

Gerry Doris gerry at DORFAM.CA
Fri Sep 19 05:27:43 IST 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Lee Garner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just recently installed the mailscanner-mrtg package
> (version 0.05, release 3) and have noticed an interesting
> "message" that appears at the bottom of the initial page
> (the page with the miniatures of all of the graphs).
>
> At the bottom of the page are three text lines:
>
>                    This page will update every 5 minutes
>                Click on any of the graphs to see more detail
>                     ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
>
> ...the last one, of course, is the one that I find rather,
> well, "disturbing".
>
> Has anyone else running mailscanner-mrtg noticed that message?
>
> I hope I haven't just installed some software that has compromised
> the security/integrity of my system!  :(
>
>  - Lee

It's an old internet joke.  A while back a message was posted by someone
whose mother tongue wasn't English that included that text.  If I remember
correctly it was supposed to be a threat but ended up with everyone
doubled in laughter.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer