Missing email messages

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 18:00:45 IST 2003

At 16:49 17/09/2003, you wrote:
> > People were complaining of slow response on the mail server
> > sending and
> > receiving, so i changed a couple of settings in
> > mailscanner.conf, but i
> > wouldn't think that would affect very much.  Changed children
> > from 10 to 5
> > (currently set it back to 10), and set queue interval for 5 seconds.
> >

>Regarding this, I was wondering what kind of impact it has.  If I have 5
>child process, queue interval at 5, I almost never get more than 3
>messages in a batch.  Is it better to run less childs or have them look in
>the queue less often to be easier on ressources.  I guess the first saves
>memory and the second saves cpu?

You don't really want more children than you need, it will just waste
memory mostly. If you have restricted RAM available, then be very careful
not to have too many children.

The queue scan interval only makes a difference when there is almost
nothing going on. If there are any messages ready for processing then they
will be processed immediately. The queue scan interval is only used when
the queue is found to be completely empty, it waits a few seconds before
scanning the queue again so as not to needlessly waste CPU.
--
Julian Field