About quarantined mails

Hongwei Li hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 16 20:19:55 IST 2003

Hi,

I have a question about quarantined mails.  I installed MailScanner
4.23-11 on a RH7.3 Linux system.  It seems working now.  Some users are
worried about missing some of non-spam mails.  The following are some of
my configuration lines:

Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
Quarantine Infections = yes
Quarantine Whole Message = yes
Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = yes

Virus Scanning = yes
Virus Scanners = clamav
Virus Scanner Timeout = 300
Deliver Disinfected Files = yes
Deliver Cleaned Messages = yes

Use SpamAssassin = yes
Spam Actions = store

My questions are:

1. Some mails are quarantined in
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20030916/spam (for today).  When I
check them, I find some of them are not junk mails.  How to deliver them
to the supposed receiver?

2. I notice that each quarantined mail is splitted into 2 parts, e.g. the
name is dfh8GFS6v13245 and qfh8GFS6v13245.  If there is a way to
re-deliver this mail, how to "combine" or merge them into an "original"
or regular mail to deliver?

3. Some other mails are simply rejected by MailScanner, and root received
a copy of "rejecting mail".  Again, some of them are not junk-mails.

4. How to adjust the rule to reduce in-correct quarantining and rejecting
non-junk mails?

5. If a mail has any virus, will that mail be quarantined or repaired?
How to check the information?

Thanks!

Hongwei