mailscanner shutdown

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 17:52:57 IST 2003

At 16:15 16/09/2003, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 September 2003 1:21 pm, Ulysees wrote:
>
> > is there any cleaner way of causing mailscanner to shutdown ?
>
>Cleaner than what?
>
> > maybe it's more of a sendmail flaw but leaving around half finished xf and
> > df files in the the queues causes me a fair bit of annoyance.
>
>Which queues?
>
>MailScanner should not take very long to shut down, and when it does so, it
>tidies up after itself (this is one reason why it takes a few seconds to shut
>down).
>
> > they way i figure it should it not be possible on shutdown to refuse new
> > connections
>
>Are you talking about shutting down MailScanner or your MTA?   MailScanner
>does not accept connections at all, so if you're shutting down MS, this is
>not an issue.
>
> > and wait x period for existing messaged to be delivered
>
>Again, MailScanner does not deliver mail - that is also done by your MTA.
>
>MailScanner merely moves files from the processing queue to the delivery
>queue; you have two MTA processes which are responsible for accepting
>incoming connections and placing files in the processing queue, and then
>taking files from the delivery queue and delivering them.
>
> > and then after that kill them but remove the dead bits from the queue ?
>
>Tell us what 'dead bits' you mean, and which queue you are finding them in.
>
>Also tell us what command you are using to shut anythng down.

If what you want is a script for removing orphaned message files from your
sendmail queues (caused when sendmail is shutdown, however "nicely" you do
it), then look on www.sendmail.org as there is a script there that does it.
You might want to include that in your sendmail startup commands. Don't put
it in the shutdown commands as it will clean up files that may still be in
use by sendmail processes that are still active after you stop the main ones.

Files left in your MTA queues are completely your MTA's problem, not
MailScanner's.
--
Julian Field