MS + Sendmail question

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 20:02:15 IST 2003

At 19:44 15/09/2003, you wrote:
>I have some specific needs with a MS+Sendmail installation and have quite a
>few doubts that what I've built is the optimum solution, any tips or
>pointers are greatly appreciated.
>
>I want the possibility to add a domain at any time and have MS and
>Sendmail "pick up" the changes in, at the most, 15 minutes.
>
>The system is running on RedHat9 with Sendmail 8.12.8
>
>Here is how I do it:
>The domain is added to all relevant rule-files
>A directory with the domain name is created in /var/spool/mqueue/
>(sendmail.cf contains "O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue/*" )
>I makemap hash for both mailertable (ip's to forward to) and relay-domain
>(domains to accept)
>I HUP sendmail and reload MailScanner every 15 minutes.
>

>While it seems to work, it does bring a few problems:
>On busy servers lots of garbage get put in mqueue.in. This seems to be
>partial messages getting stuck when sendmail is restarting.

This will happen as you are asking it to restart. Sendmail can't do a
"reload", instead it does a full restart when you HUP it.

>The constant "up and down" of MailScanner and Sendmail takes alot of time.

The MailScanner reload just HUPs the processes and shouldn't cause a
significant loss in performance.

>With this setup, are there any shortcuts I could take and still get the
>result I desire?
>
>I figure HUP'ing sendmail and reloading MailScanner only when a change has
>been made is better but I also want the log data flushed to SQL as often as
>possible.

Yes, that would be better. Maybe you could do a simple one on the hour, and
a clever "has anything been changed?" version on 15,30,45 minutes past the
hour.

--
Julian Field