MS + Sendmail question

Mon Sep 15 19:57:27 IST 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 7:44 pm, Tony Johansson wrote:

> I have some specific needs with a MS+Sendmail installation and have quite a
> few doubts that what I've built is the optimum solution, any tips or
> pointers are greatly appreciated.
>
> I want the possibility to add a domain at any time and have MS and
> Sendmail "pick up" the changes in, at the most, 15 minutes.
>
> The system is running on RedHat9 with Sendmail 8.12.8
>
> Here is how I do it:
> The domain is added to all relevant rule-files
> A directory with the domain name is created in /var/spool/mqueue/

Why do you do this bit?

> I HUP sendmail and reload MailScanner every 15 minutes.

Instead of really HUPping sendmail and restarting MS every 15 minutes, why
not just check to see if you need to - eg check the timestamp on mailertable
or relay-domain, and only HUP/restart if they got changed in the last 15
minutes?

> I figure HUP'ing sendmail and reloading MailScanner only when a change has
> been made is better but I also want the log data flushed to SQL as often as
> possible.

I don't quite understand the restrictions here.   Are you saying you need to
do one or both of HUP/restart anyway, even if you haven't changed any domains?

Regards,

Antony.

--

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.

 - Oscar Wilde