POP3 scanning?

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Mon Sep 15 03:23:40 IST 2003

One such proxy exists in sourceforge called emailproxy which is a POP3 and
SMTP proxy. It has the capability to pipe either incoming "popped" mail or
outgoing smtp thro' a commandline program - either a scanner or any other
program. However, here I guess Mailscanner will be invoked for every mail as
an instance. DO not know if it would be efficient.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:11 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: POP3 scanning?

On Sunday 14 September 2003 5:28 pm, Kevin Spicer wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 17:04, Antony Stone wrote:

> > I am perfectly happy that their email
> > will not be scanned if they collect it from outside of my network.
>
> You're a braver man than I am then!  I would say, right now, that the
> biggest threat to our network comes from laptops, as they provide a
> means for all sorts of nasties to bypass our MailScanner, firewall and
> proxies.

I agree with what you say, however I have a very different setup.   The
network users I am talking about are not part of my company or organisation;
I provide security for an Internet connection in a building occupied by many
different companies.

What happens to their systems when they're not in my building is not of
interest to me, and I have no responsibility to provide that sort of
security.

If they bring an infected laptop into the building then it is their problem;
my firewall & mail server stops any infection spreading to other users in
the
building.

What I am trying to achieve is a way to scan their incoming email for them
without having to redirect their MX records to my server, or modify their
mail client settings.   I can do all the proxying stuff with no trouble, but
I don't know if it's possible to get MailScanner to process the format of
files the proxy deals with.

Regards,

Antony.

--

Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
but rather when there is nothing left to take away.

 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery