POP3 scanning?

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Sun Sep 14 22:18:22 IST 2003

On Sunday, Sep 14, 2003, at 08:40 US/Pacific, Steffan Henke wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Antony Stone wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to get MailScanner to process files in the format
>> retreived
>> from a POP3 mailbox?
>
> Not in particular for MailScanner, put there are several proxies
> available
> for SpamAssassin and/or Spambayes, eg.
> http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=193065
> You should be able to find other implementations at Google.

What about for sophos?

I wish there was a more synchronous/interactive mode for mailscanner,
where you could give it a file name or queue ID, and mailscanner would
give you the direct result.  I could kludge together something that
looked in the out-queue until the result appeared, but that's going to
have timing or busy-wait issues.

(I'm not saying I want mailscanner to start and stop completely,
because I know one of its strengths is persistence to avoid start-up
overhead; I'm saying I want a front end that talks to the persistent
demon, and the demon will take submissions from the front end, and give
results to the front end as soon as it finishes with that submission;
and, in order to avoid the spamc/spamd problem, the submissions would
be file names instead of entire messages)

I like _everything_ mailscanner does in terms of processing, I just
wish there was a better way to interact with it.

(of course, I only know of the sendmail queue method of doing
mailscanner -- I don't know if I could get similar results to what I
want by pretending to be a different mailer)