POP3 scanning?

Sun Sep 14 21:42:33 IST 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 9:18 pm, Mike Watson wrote:

> I use Fetchmail to get mail from a remote pop3 mailbox.  MailScanner
> checks all those e-mails.

Yes, I know fetchmail delivers via sendmail, therefore everything collected
will get processed by MailScanner.

However, the solution I am looking for is not to have fetchmail running in
the background, regularly collecting email; I only want mail to be fetched
from the remote server when the user requests it via the POP3 proxy.

Hence I am looking for a way for MailScanner to process files which are in
mbox format, as collected from a POP3 mailbox.

It would be a tedious kludge if I had to get the POP3 proxy to accept a
command from the POP3 client, then invoke fetchmail to collect the mail and
process it through sendmail - MailScanner - sendmail, and then copy the
result from the local mailbox back to the client.

There must be a more sensible way.

Antony.

--

Ramdisk is not an installation procedure.