F-prot revisited

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sun Sep 14 20:57:01 IST 2003

Richard,

Ditto the IANAL disclaimer. I've been thinking about buying the $30 license
myself, in fact, I stopped writing this sentence long enough to go pay for one.

I also went and read the page you mention, plus the "fine print" at the end of
the purchasing product. Since I am not incorporated, and all of my mailservers
are actually located in the garage attached to my home, I believe I am fully
authorized, entitled, licensed, allowed, and encouraged to run this puppy as
part of MailScanner with no payment whatsoever.

I saw nothing on their site that suggests that commercial use by an individual
proprietor (or partnership, for that matter) requires payment.

Van

Richard Ahlquist wrote:

> Alan,
>
> First let me stat IANAL. I have followed comments on the list about F-prot
> since they changed their license. I have been running the workstation
> command line version since day one and will most likely continue to do so
> until something better comes along.
>
> Here is my issue with what you said though. I looked at the workstation
> license and to say its vague is an understatement, nowhere in the page I saw
> ( http://www.f-prot.com/support/helpfiles/unix/linux_ws/license.html ) did
> it state you cannot use the product in conjunction with MailScanner or in
> any type of automated system or even on a system running a mail
> server/daemon/thingamabob.
>
> As a matter of fact on this page (
> http://www.f-prot.com/support/helpfiles/unix/linux_ws/comm_scan.html ) it
> specifically mentions that it can be called from other applications.
>
> Also please note, no where in the license for the product do they mention a
> definition of what the difference is between a workstation and anything
> else.
>
> So unless F-prot has posted the wrong licensing info to their site there is
> nothing in writing that I see that says I cant use their command line
> scanner to scan the files on my system. Whether they are being copied from
> one folder to another by hand or by sendmail.
>
> Just my 2cents. Take them or leave them.
>
> Richard

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,