F-prot revisited

Richard Ahlquist newsletters at PCSITES.COM
Wed Sep 10 06:42:53 IST 2003

Alan,

First let me stat IANAL. I have followed comments on the list about F-prot
since they changed their license. I have been running the workstation
command line version since day one and will most likely continue to do so
until something better comes along.

Here is my issue with what you said though. I looked at the workstation
license and to say its vague is an understatement, nowhere in the page I saw
( http://www.f-prot.com/support/helpfiles/unix/linux_ws/license.html ) did
it state you cannot use the product in conjunction with MailScanner or in
any type of automated system or even on a system running a mail
server/daemon/thingamabob.

As a matter of fact on this page (
http://www.f-prot.com/support/helpfiles/unix/linux_ws/comm_scan.html ) it
specifically mentions that it can be called from other applications.

Also please note, no where in the license for the product do they mention a
definition of what the difference is between a workstation and anything
else.

So unless F-prot has posted the wrong licensing info to their site there is
nothing in writing that I see that says I cant use their command line
scanner to scan the files on my system. Whether they are being copied from
one folder to another by hand or by sendmail.

Just my 2cents. Take them or leave them.

Richard