POP3 scanning?

Sun Sep 14 17:04:32 IST 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 4:51 pm, Kevin Spicer wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 16:29, Antony Stone wrote:
> >Is there a way to get MailScanner to process files in the format
> >retreived from a POP3 mailbox?
> >
> >Any ideas gratefully received.
>
> This is my situation with my home account.  I use fetchmail as a daemon
> to regularly poll my pop3 accounts and pass them to sendmail ->
> MailScanner -> sendmail -> procmail -> IMAP

Yes, I'd thought of that, but it means:

a) fetchmail is collecting mail from the real server and storing it locally

b) mail client has to collect from a local machine

What I'm really looking for is a solution where the email is only processed
"on the fly" so it's not locally stored on the proxy system (except for a few
seconds while MailScanner looks at it).

I know I could deal with (b) using iptables redirection etc, but that would
only work when a laptop, for example, is inside my network, and I don't that
to be a requirement for people to collect their email, nor do I want them to
change their POP3 client settings.   I am perfectly happy that their mail
will not be scanned if they collect it from outside of my network.

That's why I was asking if MailScanner could process files in mbox (I think)
format, because if it can, I can collect the mail, process it, and pass it
on, only when the user asks for it.

Antony.

--

Nostaliga is not what it used to be.