Dealing with MailScanner overloads

Michael Janssen Janssen at RZ.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Sun Sep 14 16:57:51 IST 2003

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> What do you all think of this suggestion? Any ideas for improvements or
> useful ways to implement it?
>
> 'm thinking along the lines of adding entries to the sendmail access db. I
> can't remember if I need to restart sendmail after changing the access db,
> but a way of avoiding having to do that would be good.
>
> I would probably implement it as a Custom Function, as it's a side issue
> from the main point of scanning messages.

Custom Function sounds good in order to make it usefull for more than
sendmail: otherwise the amount of configoptions (on our system:
database server, user and password, database name, table name - given
that the table layout is managed by MS) needed for only this feature
would possibly make a cronjob solution look smarter (which is easy done
by the way). With a Custom Function, anybody how can, can write it as
appropriate.

On the other hand *dropping* those messages with faked sender addresses
is worthy enough to make it - in which way ever - the default: Think of
the impact of misguided VirusWarnings or just the MailDeliveryReports
with VirusWarnings to unknown recipients: under Sobig-F we had to tell
people on the phone just to do nothing on such warnings. It would be
"normal nowadays" :-(

It wouldn't reduce the load much, but it's possibly easier to implement
as a default: Could MailScanner detect that it receives much of one type
of virus and set such a virus to "Silent Virus" in case the admin hasn't
allready? With Sobig-F it would be neccessary to also surpress the
virus-messages alltogether (i.e. set "no" on a per virus "Still Deliver
Silent Virus" option). A mail to the desk in order to make the setting
permanent is also helpfull.

In other words: a feature were MailScanner detects new virusses as
mass-mailing-worms and stops notifcations about them would reduce the
trouble we have about misguided warnings.

Michael