SpamAssassin and Mailscanner config problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Sep 14 09:22:58 IST 2003

At 21:18 13/09/2003, you wrote:
>Ladies and Gents,
>     As a packground here is whats going on, on the server.  We used to
> use sophie and spamd.  Now we do the virus filtering with  MailScanner,
> and I must say, I havent had it crash ever, unlike sophie would go down
> daily killing mailflow.  So, now its time to move Spam Filtering over to
> MailScanner.  In fact, everything installed fine (ver 2.55).  Problem
> must be in the configs.  It seems that some configs take
> "precedence".  Spamassassin installs its configs in
> /etc/mail/spamassasin/config.cf if I am not mistaking.  Now theres a
> "mailscanner" spamassassin config in
> /opt/Mailscanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf.  I have read that
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf takes precedence.

Put all your SpamAssassin preferences in MailScanner.conf where appropriate
(such as the required score, things like that). If there isn't a setting in
MailScanner.conf for something you want to tweak then put it in
spam.assassin.prefs.conf. Note that MailScanner generates its own reports
and Subject: modifications, it doesn't let SpamAssassin alter the message
at all.

>   Now when I moved a test domain over to MailScanner, the subjects
> changed from "----SPAM---- _Hits_" to "{SPAM?}".  Now I greped the
> /opt/Mailscanner directory for the string, and found it in
> /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/ConfigDefs.pl.

Don't edit that file, you want to edit MailScanner.conf.

>     Now, why did it never see/use the things in /opt/Mailscanner/etc/?
>     also, why does it seem to discard email, unless the Spam delivery
> option (in Mailscanner.conf) is deliver, not attach.  If its attach, I
> get nothing.

If you are using "attachment" then you need to use an action such as
"delete" or "store" as well.

--
Julian Field