Whoa!! "Virus Scan failed" What?

Fri Sep 12 15:46:39 IST 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 3:40 pm, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Then there is the
> case of what to do anti-virus "a" fails but anti-virus "b" says the
> message is ok.  Then what?

I think this is just the same as if one AV engine says "OK" and another says
"Virus" - you ignore the one which said "OK" because it doesn't really mean
"this file is good" - it means "I didn't find anything bad".

You can have as many AV engines as you like, and only if they *all* say
"didn't find anything suspicious" should you assume the file might be alright.

If any of them say anything else then you work on that.   "Virus found" is
easy; "scanner failed" is more challenging, but should override "OK", I think.

It's then up to each of us configuring MS to decide what should happen when
the scanner fails, assuming it acquires this new option :)

Antony.

--

Ramdisk is not an installation procedure.