Defang'ing HTML - was RE: Content Checks: Detected HTML-specic ex ploits in h8AGGVSe016972

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Thu Sep 11 19:12:49 IST 2003

Completely agreed here - I would much, much, MUCH rather have a list of tags
that I can "defang" and customize as I see fit.  These tags would just get
some predictable string prepended to them (which also ought to be
customizeable).

For example, if the defang string were "Defanged_by_HJMS_", and I put "form"
and "script" on my list of tags to defang, then these tags:

        <form method="post" action="...">
        </form>
        <script>
        </script>

...would get turned into these tags:

        <Defanged_by_HJMS_form method="post" action="...">
        </Defanged_by_HJMS_form>
        <Defanged_by_HJMS_script>
        </Defanged_by_HJMS_script>

Then really knowledgeable people can even re-fang a file (as long as it
didn't originally include a string matching the defang string).  This
defanging is one of the features I miss from the procmail filter I used to
run:

http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

To be fair though I haven't even *tried* MS's HTML conversion stuff yet
since I thought it would strip the entire message, which is absolutely NOT
what I need.