Content Checks: Detected HTML-specic exploits in h8AGGVSe016972

David Hooton david at PLATFORMHOSTING.COM
Thu Sep 11 14:39:04 IST 2003

Antony Stone wrote:
> I suggest you don't paste html into email messages :)

Spoken like a true technician!

> Seriously, though - why are you doing that?   The 'dangerous html content'
> checks will only get triggered if you paste in some potentially dangerous
> html - it won't pick up on plain markup tags or hyperlinks.
>
> If you need to send somebody some strange html because you're designing web
> pages etc then I suggest you put it in a .zip or .gz file and send it like
> that.

Come on!! we all have customers and those customers do tend to try doing
anything that they can do to make life hard for us!  This is hardly a
practical solution.

We have quite a few legitimate messages a day blocked by this rule, it
actually wound up being such a problem that we had to disable it.

What _exactly_ is this rule looking for?  And if this is a commonly
exploited thing, why are so many large mailing lists actually using that
code in their mailouts?
--
Regards,

David Hooton
Senior Partner
Platform Hosting
1300 85 HOST
www.platformhosting.com

   This message has been scanned for spam & viruses by Mail Security.

   To report SPAM forward the message to:    spam at mailsecurity.net.au
   Report incorrectly tagged messages to: notspam at mailsecurity.net.au

   Mail Security                              www.mailsecurity.net.au