SpamAssassin can't add?

Thu Sep 11 09:24:20 IST 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 6:16 am, Gerry Doris wrote:

> >  SpamAssassin (score=5.2, required 5, AWL 0.00, NO_REAL_NAME 1.15,
> > OPPORTUNITY 0.68)
> >
> >  Now, unless this is some bizarre form of math I've never seen before,
> > something just doesn't seem right ;-)

> I have had the same problem for ages.  I have tried running with
> MailScanner calling SpamAssassin and with procmail calling SpamAssassin.
> The scores don't add up when MailScanner calls SA.  They do add up when SA
> is called from procmail or when SA is run separately (ie passing the
> sample-spam.txt message to SA from the command line).

It would be interesting to push the same message through SA in these two ways
and see what the difference in score assignments is:

 - do the scores 0.00 in one method count as something else in the other
method?

 - are the individual scores for the tests the same, and only the total comes
out differently?

I wonder if perhaps SA is getting confused about whether it should be using
its local/network/plain/Bayes scores because of the way MS calls it?

Antony.

--

There are two possible outcomes.

If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi