SpamAssassin can't add?

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Thu Sep 11 06:16:42 IST 2003

>  This is a bit weird. One of my users emailed me about a message that was
> incorrectly marked as SPAM. I took a look and noticed that SpamAssassin
> had
> assigned the score as follows:
>
>  SpamAssassin (score=5.2, required 5, AWL 0.00, NO_REAL_NAME 1.15,
> OPPORTUNITY 0.68)
>
>  Now, unless this is some bizarre form of math I've never seen before,
> something just doesn't seem right ;-)
>
>  Anyone seen this before? The server is MS 4.23-11 with SA 2.55.
>

>  Cheers,
>
> -Joshua

I have had the same problem for ages.  I have tried running with
MailScanner calling SpamAssassin and with procmail calling SpamAssassin.
The scores don't add up when MailScanner calls SA.  They do add up when SA
is called from procmail or when SA is run separately (ie passing the
sample-spam.txt message to SA from the command line).

I believe this is a MailScanner problem not interfacing correctly with SA.
 However, when I posted this to the list Julian responded by saying not to
blame him if SA can't add.

On the other hand, I do believe the the total score is correct.  The
individual items with a 0.0 score really do have a score that is being
counted.

Gerry