Spam Tagging Opt In Filtering Wish

Matt hciss at HCIWS.COM
Thu Sep 11 02:28:16 IST 2003

The feature I would like.

By default MailScanner scans all email for viruses and also with
SpamAssassin.  It puts the Spam score in the header of the message.  For
some stupid reason Outlook Express cannot filter by header contents(I know
Outlook can).  If the user desires they can enable tagging the end of the
message body with a Spam score.  They do this by going to a webpage and
submitting there email address in a form.  After that they get email message
and if they click on a link in it its turned on.  They can do a similiar
thing to turn it off later if they don't like it.  All this WITHOUT the
email admins intervention.

With me tagging the subject is irritating and they will just be asking you
whitelist this and that email and I want no intervention on my end.  If they
want aggressive filtering all messages are tagged with a signature and they
can create there own whitelists if they want.  Unless perhaps another form
to whitelist certain addresses.  I would only allow my IP pools access to
that form.  I think I could write some perl scripts to do this I am just not
very good at it.  The scripts would need to manipulate the MailScanner
config files and would only take effect when restarted, what every 4 hours?
Would this fit anyone elses need?  Seems ideal to me to give the decisions
to the end user.  A signature at the end that says "virus scanned and spam
score" does not seem that bad to me.

Again if Outlook Express like Outlook allowed filtering by header content
this would be already possible.

Matt