Error in Anti-Virus Software Recognition?

Wed Sep 10 17:25:49 IST 2003

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 3:58 pm, Evert Ford wrote:

> When I installed the current version of MailScanner, I started seeing the
> following in my mail log hourly:
>
> Sep 10 02:01:01 myComputer update.virus.scanners: Found bitdefender
> installed
> Sep 10 02:01:01 myComputer update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
> Sep 10 02:01:03 myComputer update.virus.scanners: Found f-prot installed
> Sep 10 02:01:39 myComputer update.virus.scanners: Found panda installed
> Sep 10 02:01:39 myComputer update.virus.scanners: Found rav installed
>
> However, I only have f-prot and clamav installed, and should only be
> getting updates for those two.  Everything seems to be working, just says
> it's getting updates for tools i don't have installed.

Can you check to see if you have any/all of the following *executable* files
on your system?

/usr/bin/pavcl
/usr/local/bd7/shared/bdc
/usr/local/bin/clamscan
/usr/local/f-prot/f-prot
/usr/local/rav8/bin/ravav

I know it seems unlikely you'd have software you didn't know about, but the
autoupdate script works by checking to see if the A-V executable exists and
is executable, and if it finds it, attempts an update.   I'd start by
checking your machine to see if it's really finding something.

Antony.

those who understand binary notation,
and those who don't.