MailScanner Eating Up System Proccesses {Scanned by HJMS}

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Wed Sep 10 00:27:26 IST 2003

Some things to try:

vmstat 1

...are there many processes in the blocked state (second column)?  If so,
perhaps you have an I/O problem.  Also shows how much swap is used (ought to
be low and slowly changing or never changing) and how much free memory there
is.

free

...shows statistics about memory and swap usage.

ps auxww | grep MailScanner

...the STAT column (8th, on my machine) may give you some clues - if you see
D it's blocked on something, probably I/O.  If you see R, it's in a run
queue waiting for the cpu.  Probably not going to see Z, but that's defunct,
meaning the proc is dead and the parent hasn't cleaned it up yet.

pstree -ap | less

...assuming Linux.  If HPUX, try UNIX95= ps -efH | more instead.  This
sometimes makes it easier to see important parent/child relationships
between processes.

Try turning off spamassassin and restarting MailScanner.
Try enabling debugging in MailScanner and SpamAssassin.
Try turning off rbl checks.
Try turning off razor/Pyzor/DCC checks.
Try turning off Bayes.

iostat 1

... may show more detail about any i/o bottleneck if you have multiple
drives.

HTH,
Trever