MailWatch vs. MRTG

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at LBSLTD.CO.UK
Tue Sep 9 15:39:58 IST 2003

Hi Steve,

Here's my opinion - I use both, and I'm the author of MailWatch - IMHO they
were both designed with different goals in mind and it depends on what your
requirements are

MailScanner-MRTG is brilliant for monitoring your mail server and getting
the top-level statistics from it - also, it is lightweight on the server
itself, and dead easy to install and requires little or no changes to
MailScanner itself to operate.

I designed MailWatch with a specific goal in mind - we used to use a
commercial content scanner here and it *sucked* (even though it was
expensive), but it did have a reasonable UI for a helpdesk to use but the
reporting also sucked.  I wanted something that would allow me to see
message level info (to, from, subject, size, sascore, status etc.) of recent
messages processed by MailScanner(s) and to generate management reports from
this information and to allow the Helpdesk to release quarantined messages
and respond to mail queries amongst other things.

MailWatch is NOT easy to install, however I've attempted to make it a bit
easier in 0.3beta.  It does require minimal changes to MailScanner, and it
will also introduce extra load on the server, although this is fairly
minimal and even less so in 0.3beta.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Steve.