Updating virus definitions

Steve Douglas steve.douglas at SBIINCORPORATED.COM
Tue Sep 9 15:36:12 IST 2003

I have RedHat v9, 1 GB RAM, the newest version of MS (4.23-11), 80 GB disk
space, and f-prot version (4.2.1).

I have turned the pipe off to the /bin so that I would watch real-time the
results.  At the moment whenever I manually perform the MS cron.hourly
script "update_virus_scanners" I am receiving the following line as a
result:

invalid command-line option "/usr/local/f-prot"

I am following what the output states, but can not identify where the
command line is generated from.  I have checked the virus.scanners.conf.
The file contains syntax as follows:

f-prot     /usr/lib/MailScanner/f-prot-wrapper           /usr/local/f-prot

To my uneducated eye (newbieism) it appeared to be fine.  I then went to the
/usr/lib/MailScanner path and verified the f-prot-autoupdate.rpmnew file was
changed to the f-prot-autoupdate file and that to original was renamed with
an .old extension.

I can go to the f-prot tools directory and run their perl script that is
supplied with the program manually and it runs fine.  Thanks for any
consideration.

----------

The update_Virus_scanners syntax is as follows:

#!/bin/bash

SCANNERSCONF=/etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf

#LOCKFILE=/var/lock/MailScanner.autoupdate.lock

LOCKFILE=/tmp/MailScanner.autoupdate.lock

# the lockfile is not meant to be perfect, it's just in case the

# two cron scripts get run close to each other to keep them from

# stepping on each other's toes.

[ -f $LOCKFILE ] && exit 0

trap "rm -f $LOCKFILE" EXIT

touch $LOCKFILE

# Set umask so user mail can read (and share-lock) the Busy.lock files

umask 022

cat ${SCANNERSCONF} | sed -e 's/#.*$//' | grep -e -wrapper | \

while read NAME WRAPPER PACKAGEDIR

do

  #echo String is $NAME $WRAPPER $PACKAGEDIR

  UPDATER=`echo $WRAPPER | sed -e 's/-wrapper/-autoupdate/'`

  if [ -n "${NAME}" -a -n "${WRAPPER}" -a -n "${PACKAGEDIR}" ]

  then

    if ${WRAPPER} "${PACKAGEDIR}" -IsItInstalled

    then

      #echo Found $NAME installed

      logger -p mail.info -t update.virus.scanners Found $NAME installed

      if [ -x ${UPDATER} ]

      then

        #echo Updating $NAME

        logger -p mail.info -t update.virus.scanners Running autoupdate for
$NAME

        ${UPDATER} "${PACKAGEDIR}" 2>&1

            #>/dev/null

      fi