Spamassain

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sun Sep 7 00:11:15 IST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 23:01, Vernon Webb wrote:

>> spamassassin -D --lint
>> --config-file=/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

>This one ran REAL fast and here's what got:

>debug: running in taint mode? no

<snip!>

Yeah that all looks in order

>> Possibly, the whole line would have been nice!

>  Here's the whole line:

>Sep  6 17:30:45 home sm-msp-queue[11614]: h85D9arc008082:
>to=postmaster, delay=1+08:20:30, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
>pri=15064715, relay=[127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection
>refused by [127.0.0.1]

Thats pretty much what I thought its a locally generated mail thats been
queued and can't be passed to the incoming sendmail process because its
not listening on the loopback interface.

>> Presumably this is being
>> logged by a sendmail process?  possibly a sign that sendmail isn't
>> listening on the loopback interface.  You can find out by doing...
>> IIRC RedHat's sendmail by default listens only on 127.0.0.1, maybe
>> someone has changed this to an IP of an external interface?

>But you are right and this confuses me. If I set up sendmail options
>with:

>  Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

>then I don't get any incoming mail. However if I set it up with the
>public IP it works fine. Is that how it's supposed to work?

According to the comment in my sendmail.mc file (which is Mandrake, but
presumably this holds for all sendmail configs) you should comment out
the line entirely (by prepending dnl ) if you want to bind to all
interfaces (the default behavior).  Don't forget you'll need to rebuild
sendmail.cf and stop/restart the sendmail processes started by
MailScanner first.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000