MailScanner Error

Errol Neal errol.neal at ENHTECH.COM
Fri Sep 5 01:47:18 IST 2003

Hi all,

I just had a problem with my MailScanner that I fixed. I think this should
be added to the FAQ or something because the fix to the problem was not
very apparent...

I am running MailScanner-4.22-4 on Solaris9 Sparc.
The problem I ran into was when my system had just came back from a reboot,
I was unable to start the MailScanner. It exited with this error:

  length is 0, should be 4 at Socket.pm

which was directed at the Socket.pm file in my perl Installation.

I did a search in the MailScanner archives and located this:

"
From: Frank Cheong <chocobofrank at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Bad arg length for Socket::pack_sockaddr_in, length is 0,
should be 4

Recently, I have just installed MailScanner, Perl 5.8.0 and all related
components according to the mailscanner installation guide onto my Solaris

"Bad arg length for Socket::pack_sockaddr_in, length is 0, should be 4
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Socket.pm line 373."

What is the problem ? I have tried to telnet localhost 514 which is the
syslog port and the following message reported
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I also checked that the below line is inside /etc/service
syslog 514/udp

Can I assume my solaris syslog configuration ok and it is the problem of
the perl installation instead ?
"

His Problem was that he was trying to run the sophos-autoupdate script. My
problem was with starting the MailScanner. So i tried to start the
auto-update script to see if I would get an error. The sophos-autoupdate
script also exited with an error, but this time the error mentioned
the old hostname of my system that i THOUGHT I HAD CHANGED. When I
initially setup my system, I did so using a temporary name.
Not knowing the ins and outs of Solaris, I guess I did it incompletely
because the system would configure itself with the old hostname after reboot.
I changed my hostname back to the entries that I had in my /etc/hosts file
and my /etc/hostname.dmfe0 file using the 'hostname' command and restarted
MailScanner.. It started with no problems.. Then I modified all the files
that mentioned the old hostname and restarted my server.. no issues...

So the problem was with the MailScanner being unable to resolve my invalid
system name.... (I think)

Anyways, hope that helps someone in the future..

Regards,

Errol U. Neal

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal at enhtech.com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249