virus update scripts.

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Thu Sep 4 16:54:18 IST 2003

Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
>At 15:13 04/09/2003, you wrote:
>>
>>That's a problem with your McAfee installation -- I assume that the
>>virus scanner library can be found by ld.so
>
>But mcafee-wrapper doesn't require any of that, so people won't have done
>it to get MailScanner working.
>Any chance you could use mcafee-wrapper in your script rather than call
>uvscan directly please?
>Then it's a more real test that MailScanner can drive uvscan with the new
>files.

Unfortunately the wrapper script explicitly specifies the active dat
file directory, so it's incompatible with my update script because that
specifies a different dat file directory. I can add a couple of lines to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I believe that's the wrong fix because properly
installed programs should be runnable from a normal environment. It also
fails to deal with things like the Red Hat 9 incompatibility, as does
the standard wrapper.

(My MailScanner setup runs uvscan directly, and this kind of problem is
fixed by my uvscan package.)

Tony.
LUNDY: EASTERLY VEERING SOUTHERLY 3 OR 4. FAIR. GOOD.