Mail Not Routing, stuck in /var/spool/mqueue.in

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 09:51:28 IST 2003

At 09:49 04/09/2003, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
> > I have just fixed one server which was suffering from this exact problem.
> > It was processing messages, but very slowly.
>
>Hmm... good! =)
>
> > I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it fixed it for me just
> now.
> > Make sure your spam.assassin.prefs.conf contains these lines
> >
> > score RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 0.0
> > score X_OSIRU_OPEN_RELAY 0.0
> > score X_OSIRU_DUL 0.0
> > score X_OSIRU_SPAM_SRC 0.0
> > score X_OSIRU_SPAMWARE_SITE 0.0
> > score X_OSIRU_DUL_FH 0.0
>
>Allthough i am not using SA in my setup currently. But its good you have
>seen it happen also on your end.

But it may well be a completely different problem in your case.

The thing is, it appears to have just started affecting people running
a) various different versions of MailScanner
b) on various different platforms
c) it was never a problem before some very recent change in circumstances

This really points to it being a problem outside of MailScanner, as
otherwise people would have surely noticed it before? The biggest changes
in circumstances recently are the arrival of some very virulent worms and
the death of osirusoft. If you are 100% sure you aren't ever checking
osirusoft, then that leaves the worms. I can't see exactly what they might
be causing, but they are putting a lot of stress on many networks, and I
imagine that DNS servers as well as mail servers are seeing significantly
more load than before, due to all the delivery-time DNS lookups that are
done by the MTAs.

 From what you say, we are talking about at least 2 different problems,
yours and the one I have just seen. Maybe there are more than 2?
--
Julian Field