Training the bayesian engine and sa-learn {Scanned by HJMS}

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Wed Sep 3 21:03:35 IST 2003

You're close - but sa-learn doesn't update whitelists or blacklists - it
just trains the Bayesian filtering engine, which identifies patterns in spam
and uses them to recognize future spam.  SpamAssassin passes messages to the
Bayesian engine and gets a score for each message, just as it does for its
other rules.  This score just becomes part of the cumulative score for the
message.

There's a FAQ entry on how to set up a script to automatically run sa-learn
- sounds like you already found that.  If you have trouble getting it to
work, ask for help again.

Besides the bayesian filtering, you can also whitelist and blacklist senders
but I would hesitate to recommend automating that process - I can imagine
users blindly forwarding spam from the sobig virus to an address that would
automatically blacklist the sender, which would be a bad thing since sobig
is likely to come "from" someone who regularly emails you.

HTH,
Trever