Bad arg length for Socket::pack_sockaddr_in, length is 0, should be 4

Frank Cheong chocobofrank at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 3 05:29:29 IST 2003

Recently, I have just installed MailScanner, Perl 5.8.0 and all related
components according to the mailscanner installation guide onto my Solaris
8 machine. I cannot start the /opt/MailScanner/lib/sophos-autoupdate which
I found that whenever the module call the syslog function (e.g.
syslog.openlog) It will then try to connect to the syslog server on my
localhost while it failed with the below message :

"Bad arg length for Socket::pack_sockaddr_in, length is 0, should be 4
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Socket.pm line 373."

What is the problem ? I have tried to telnet localhost 514 which is the
syslog port and the following message reported
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I also checked that the below line is inside /etc/service
syslog          514/udp

Can I assume my solaris syslog configuration ok and it is the problem of
the perl installation instead ?