I need to stop MAILER-DAEMON messages but how??

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Oct 31 18:06:21 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:43, Magda Hewryk wrote:

>I've got a message from YAHOO that our mail gateway sends spam....
>I've looked at the queue and found hundreds of emails trying to be sent
>by
>MAILER-DAEMON on our mail gateway machine.

>How to stop it?

Make sure you understand the problem before looking for the solution...

Take a good look at the content of some of these messages (a good few,
not just one or two)...

Are these bounces?  if so why are they bouncing (spam sent to none
existant recipients? dumb auto-responders? full mailboxes?)

Are these viruses (some send 'from' MAILER-DAEMON) If so find the
affected machines.

Are you running an open-relay?

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk