SQL + RBLs

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Fri Oct 31 14:30:10 GMT 2003

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Pete russell [mailto:pete at EATATHOME.COM.AU]
Envoyé : Friday, October 31, 2003 7:53 AM
À : MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Objet : SQL + RBLs

Is it possible, or even desirable to import regularly the RBLs into a local SQL DB so that spam assassin/mailscanner can easily and quickly do lookups against the DB, rather than across the web?

[Ugo]
Please avoid HTML in your posts.
If you don't have a big volume, you should start with a caching nameserver on your nework, since RBLS are dns lookups.  It you have very high volume, yes it is worth copying the rbl on a local dns server.  I think dcc can be run locally.  I'm not sure for the others.

hth
Ugo

Speaking to the dev staff at work and they thought this would be the way to go, maybe importing the RBLs would be so hard (we assume they have support for this), but get SA or MS to use them might be a different story. Can this be done using 3rd partys tools? Eg does razor or DCC have this support?

Would it be worthwhile even persuing, assuming some of this is possible? We assume we are not first to think of this, maybe there is already support? Or tools that can do this for us?

Any ideas?
Pete