rejecting non existant users on the incoming queue.

Thu Oct 30 09:27:07 GMT 2003

Hi all

OK just a reminder for everyone before I get started, I'm running
FreeBSD 4.8, MS 4.24-5 and exim 4.24.

What I'm seeing is lots of email in the outgoing queue  (ie MS scanned
email) retrying as the spam is for unknown local users which then
bounces to an unknown 'from/reply-to' address. (currently around 5
thousand after 48 hours of live running). Of course after 6 days exim
will give up and I'll get shed load of delivery failures in my
postmaster box, but there must be a better way.

What's the best way of keeping this queue short?

Should I be using exim incoming queue to reject non-existant
'to/cc/bcc' records on the actual email server (sunos4 with pop
collection), possibly using virtual domains somehow?

Is there some way in MS to reject this cleanly and still give errors
when real email gets the address wrong?

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator